Tuesday, May 25, 2010

IRON SKILLET CHEESE BREAD


Tell me that picture didn't just make you melt right then and there in your chair?? Just imagine actually tasting it!! I made this over the weekend. I used my favorite pizza dough recipe and just doubled it so that we would have a pizza and cheese bread. I also just got this really cool (and heavy) iron skillet from my Mom for my birthday that I was dying to use.

Below is the basic pizza dough recipe I use. What is awesome is you don't have to let the rise you can use it right away or if you have time, you can let it rise. So it is great to use on weeknights when there isn't always extra time to wait on something like bread dough rising.


Ingredients

* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon white sugar
* 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Directions

1. Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread out on a large pizza pan. Top as desired.
2. Bake at 375 degrees C (190 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.


When I make this I like to melt butter and add garlic powder to it and brush it all on the dough, it adds a really great flavor.





After making the bread dough, I pressed it in the bottom of my iron skillet. Sprinkling a little cornmeal in the bottom will give the dough something to grab on to and stick and not keep shrinking back.



Next I layered on two kinds of cheese, mozzarella and colby. I sprinkled the top with garlic salt and pepper. I think this baked for about 15-20 minutes.



Look at this right here! Looks like a pillow of cheese!




Cut into bars and serve warm!


One thing I would have done differently that I didn't do this time, was I think I should have greased my iron skillet, stuck some butter in the bottom or something to crisp up the bottom a little. Next time . . . .

8 comments:

liloo said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh your blog is temptation island looool
I'm hungry right now XD
Thx for sharing ;)
xoxo

Unknown said...

Droooooooolllllll....this blog is so bad for me but sooooo good!

Megan Harmeyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan Harmeyer said...

O M G that looks SOOOO good!!! You could even add stuffs. Wait. Then you might as well have pizza. LOL

1xellus1 said...

Looks so goood! This is right on time! I've been on a homemade pizza kick for a few days! LOL Thank you so much for sharing!

polishedlyrics said...

This looks fantastic, its making me hungry and lunch isn't here yet!

Unknown said...

I ma gonna make this , this weekend!!!

Faith P said...

Hi nice reading youur blog